Welcome to the science page at Our Lady of Fatima. This page will provide information for students and parents to keep them abreast of what is happening in the class.
My goal as a science teacher is to encourage a student’s natural curiosity about the world around them and help them understand how that world works. I accomplish this through inquiry based projects that allow students to actively engage in problem solving using the scientific method. In addition, students participate in many group projects that help them learn about science and how to work in groups. Through inquiry based projects, group work, and learning the scientific method, I am teaching the students to be scientifically literate citizens.
Sixth Grade Science
Sixth grade science is fun and exciting with an emphasis on showing students how wonderful science is. 6th graders learn about Astronomy and Earth Science. Astronomy is the focus of the first semester and then students move onto learning about the Earth and Geology. Technology is a big part of the curriculum in Astronomy as students utilize computers to view and research our universe. 6th grade is the first year that students will compete in the school-wide science fair. Students in sixth grade will work in groups to complete their science fair projects and better help them understand the scientific method. For help with science fair please use the links below:
Seventh Grade Science
7th graders learn about life science and biology, which includes biomes, cells and genetics. Cells are the focus in life science and students will learn the processes as well as the structures. In the second semester students will be tested on their knowledge of cells and heredity by participating in a Crime Scene Investigation. Students in 7th grade will continue competing in the school-wide science fair. For help with science fair please use the links below.
Eighth Grade Science
8th graders learn about Chemistry and Physics, which includes the periodic table, energy and forces. The periodic table of elements and how they relate to our world is the focus of Chemistry. Students will participate in labs that will enable them to understand how elements combine to form compounds. Students in 8th grade will continue competing in the school-wide science fair.
Every year middle school students are required to complete a science fair project. The aim of this project is for students to practice using the scientific method in an area of there choosing. Students will be chosen to represent Our Lady of Fatima at the Central NM Science & Engineering Research Challenge.
For students and parents, here are helpful science fair web sites:
- Central NM Science & Engineering Research Challenge – This site will provide you with all the information and rules for the regional science fair, plus other helpful resources.
- Sciencebuddies.org – You will find a wealth of information on this web site. There is a topic wizard to help pick a topic that fits both your interest and amount of time/money you are willing to spend. Students can also post questions to experts on this site and get answers.
- Science Fair Forms– This site has all the forms required for completing in the science fair. All Our Lady of Fatima students are required to complete form 1, 1A, 1B, and 3.
Here are some website for helping with parts of the research paper:
- EasyBib – helps create a bibliography
- BibMe – will help create a bibliography
- Create a Graph – will allow students to enter data and create a graph.
Here are the powerpoints present to the class about your science fair project: